A new version of Secrets Keeper is about to be released. It will be called Keeper. You can download a preview from this address:
An installer is not yet available, but we're working on it. At this point just unzip it. Run the included BAT file to enable the integration into MS Office and Windows Explorer.
Of course, no story is complete without screenshots, so here we go (screenshots are clickable):
Keeper's main window, nothing special in it, but notice that the main menu is not shown by default.
The key management window enables you to manage the passwords and contacts stored on your keys. Keeper will generate passwords for you, as well as evaluate their strength. You can have an unlimited number of groups and contacts in each group.
The email addresses will be used when you click the "encrypt and email" option.
The file encryption dialog. You can choose whether you wish to use a password from a key connected to the system (otherwise type it by hand). If you use a password from the key, you can choose which group to encrypt the data for.
- You can create self-extracting archives, so people who don't have Keeper on their computers can still decrypt the files you sent them (if they know the right password, of course);
- You can wipe the original files, to make sure they cannot be recovered using forensic methods. This is handy if you're encrypting your
poworld domination plans;
- Encrypt and email will automatically start the default mail client and create a new message, with the encrypted file attached to it.
The settings window looks like any other settings window.
Note that the update checking feature does not work yet, therefore if you wish to track Keeper's progress, check this page every now and then.
Keeper integrates itself into the Microsoft Office suite, enabling you to encrypt files or decrypt them from within Word, or other programs from Office.
Keeper 4 also integrates itself into the context (right-click) menu of Windows Explorer. This gives you quick access to features such as:
- File wiping - remove sensitive data without leaving a trace
- Encrypt and email
If you right-click an encrypted archive, you will see options such as:
- Decrypt here
- Decrypt to <name of file>
- Decrypt each archive into separate directory (when selecting multiple archives)
- Decrypt each archive into separate directory and make me a cup of tea
As you can see, Keeper 4 is a huge step forward from Secrets Keeper 3.5. The new version is prettier, it provides an excellent user experience, and it will run on platforms other than Windows ;-)